Friday, May 30, 2008

Belouis Some- Animal Magic

I can't get this song on iTunes. This used to be one of my favorite songs to listen and dance to. Played loud on fantastic set of speakers.

I was at the Mercury Bar early last nite, around 11pm and for the whole time that I was there (about an hour and a half), all I heard was hip hop. 100%.

Now, since I've been going to Mercury 3 years ago, I've gotten used to some hip hop because I had no choice. But I gotta say that most hip hop is crap. There's no harmony or engaging lyrics. It's all just bump and grind, mindless ghetto shit and the ghetto people love it. Lots of white trash people mostly.

I blame hip hop for people dressing like shit too and acting like animals for the past 10 yrs.

Yes, I am biased towards 80s music because I grew up on it. But still, even if I were a martian and never heard the 80s stuff, compared to hip hop, 80s hands down is more elegant and engaging then the ghetto crap.

The DJ sucked. A good DJ mixes things up. Alittle hip hop here, alittle rock n roll there, and 80s, etc. That DJ was just pouring out endless McNuggets with BBQ sauce. Not a chef, a fckn dishwasher boy at best.

Eventhough I luv 80s music alot, if I were to DJ, I would not be playing 80s 100%.

I wonder where I can get songs that are not on iTunes. There's a slew of songs that I miss like 'The Magician' by Secession and 'Situation' by Cetu Javu, etc. that are on YouTube but not on iTunes.

It's no wonder that the high end places play mostly 80s, Rock, and House now. The shit places like Mercury have shit DJs that only play ghetto. Yeah, I know that Mercury is shit. I luv it though when there aren't many people there and there is no DJ. Amen.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

gcyylqAh, the whole perpetual ululation about the descending quality of popular music. It seems to me that most people like whatever popular music was "poular" when they were, say, 15 to 22. At that age, they spend much energy despising everything that came before, and spend the rest of their lives despising everything that came after.

In the 50s, my parents were still playing 78s by Glenn Miller and Ray Anthony. They were aghast at Bill Haley, Buddy Holly, and (double-gasp) Elvis, and vociferously claimed that such was "not even music."

My favorite popular music has always been from the 1955-1965 era, and somewhat beyond that. I have, however, always forced myself to listen to later stuff, because I was afraid I was sounding too much like my father. Rap and hip-hop have not come easy to me, and part of the fun is lost in that my parents are not around any more to hate it and make it that much more fun for me.

One thing you can say for rap and hip-hop: they brought back a lot of rhythm and rhyme. I think the last 50 years has been an incredibly fertile period in popular music. The real test will come a hundred years from now when we see how much of it is still around.

There were probably hundreds or thousands of operas written in Prague and Vienna during Mozart's heyday. For every "Cosi Fan Tutte" or "Don Giovanni" that survived, thousands and thousands of operas, many of which were far more poular than Mozart's at the time, have been assigned to the musical shitcan.

No doubt, there will be hip-hop works that will be known and honored many years from now, but only time will tell. If we tried to predict now, we'd probably be wrong.

The songs from "South Pacific" some of the big hits of the early 50s, seem to have legs, and are making quite a splash this very day at the Vivian Beaumont. Sixty years old next year, it seems like a good bet that "Some Enchanted Evening" and "Younger than Springtime" (which my parents admired in Ray Anthony and Percy Faith instrumental versions) may well make it into that tiny list of popular songs that lasted out their first century.

Ars longa. . .

Unknown said...

In case anyone is wondering, the first word of my last posting "gcyylqAh," should read "Ah,". For reasons to complicated to get into.

dandyinthecity said...

What you say is true. I guess we are all predisposed and biased towards the music that we grew up on. Just a 70s rock person would think that 80s is too electronic and androgynous, and 60s person would think that 70s is too noisy.

But I prefer harmony and engaging lyrics so I also love Musicals, Tony Bennet, Gershwin, etc. i.e. songs of all era. I also like some hip hop as well.Like you,I force myself to give new songs a chance because I don't want to be stuck with only one color pallette.

I just know from experience that there are kids who only like the bump and grind of hip hop and all hip hop, especially, the brainless ghetto stuff. As far as hip hop goes,I do like 50 Cent, Kayne West, Timbaland, Snoop Dog, Will Smith, etc. and actually bought many on iTunes.

So, my point was not necessarily against all hip hop but lot of it and against a DJ who ONLY plays one genre of music all night. A bore.

Anonymous said...

thanks for your comments on my blog. i'm glad i got to see you before i left gotham city!! im gonna listen to the mix cd once i'm unpacked, i wont judge it as hard as you judge these dj's hihi, as long as it's made with love ;) you should try lupe fiasco, he has awesome beats and smart lyrics, im sick of ghetto stuff too, people die because of the culture it represents, it's just not entertaining...

Unknown said...

You might want to consider another word than "nigga" to designate those you consider to be animals, uneducated, loud, rude, and (somewhat bathetically) without style.

Your claim that, for you, "niggas" come in all shades does not quite qualify as exculpatory. It's not really a word that educated, polite, and "stylish" people use except in the most extreme cases. And it seems to me that because of all it's history and connotations, there is almost always another word which is more appropriate. Of course, I could be wrong.

dandyinthecity said...

:()

dandyinthecity said...

OK. Pierce. Perhaps, the word "peasant(s)" is less incidiary, and so, more appropriate. Sure. Why not.