Thursday, May 29, 2008

Petrol

I find it disgusting that the Americans are all upset about a $4 per gallon. In England, gas is $8 per gallon, Germany $9 and in Netherlands $10 and I cheer the Japanese who had the insight and the smartness to create hybrid cars (which it-- the technology-- it licenses to American car companies.)

America has become lazy and arrogant and we are seeing the beginnings of the outcome of this gluttonous behavior. I wrote a blog a few days ago on 'hubris' ["Pride cometh before a fall, and a haughty spirit before destruction. Proverbs. 16] and this goes back to that blog.

I just got Fareed Zakaria's new book 'The Post-American World' and I look forward to reading it this week. It's about the 'rise of the rest' and how we are rapidly declining relative to others' rise.

Btw, I completely agree with Tom Friedman's opinion in NY Times (Titled: Truth or Consequences") about how we should have a gas price floor at $4 per gallon from now on.

I love the Jew Trio on NY Times, Brooks, Friedman, Krugman. They are brilliant, sagacious, intellectually honest, and articulate. I wish that they would be running this country.

FYI- Truth or Consequences (Copy and paste to browser)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/28/opinion/28friedman.html?em&ex=1212206400&en=6acc7e173e4e0dc8&ei=5087%0A

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not especially impressed by Brooks. He is definitely intelligent and articulate, but I fear he might be a bit of a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Unknown said...

Brooks is terrible, other than his position on the gays and marriage. He's an unreconstructed neoconservative.

Anonymous said...

Von Kwon - when are you coming to San Francisco? TGD (aka Glenn, aka Shane's BF)

dandyinthecity said...

Glenn,

I luv San Fran. Been there a few times. I think that it's a more liveable and balanced city than NY. If I ever comeout that way, I will definitely let you and Shen know!

dandyinthecity said...

Pierce and Shane,

I understand what you are saying about Brooks. He is abit of a neocon. But I am too. I was for going into Iraq for 'behavior modification.' I'm for pre emptive strikes. "Before the enemy stands up to kill you. Stand up and kill them first." Old testament stuff.

The administration however fckd up completely on the excution of it.

I see Brooks almost every night on The Newshour on PBS and I scrutinize everything Brooks says. So far I agree with almost everything he has ever said. So, my opinion differs from yours.

What are some of the things that he said that alarms you? Curious.