Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The IRS

So, I got back my 2007 tax return refund. $0. I was owed $5,032 from last year for overpayment. But the fckrs said that I never filed for my 1999 tax return (8 yrs. ago) and that I had owed them $2,350 for that year and with penalties and interest since then, they swallowed the whole thing plus I owe them $357 more!

I told them that I never received any mails about this for the past 8 yrs. and that had I known, it would have already been paid off. They said, "well, you should have received them."

It's so hypocritical that the government is accountable to no one (e.g. they lost track of $1 bil. in cash that was sent to Iraq and have no clue where the money went). But with citizens, they are hardcore.

As far as I remember, I did file in 1999. But I don't keep records that far back. Actually, I don't keep records at all.

The messed up part is that last year, I already paid over $50,000 (for real!) in Federal and State income taxes straight out of my paycheck. So, on top of all of this, I still owe them money?!

I'm annoyed but not upset. I expect the worst from our government. The wealthiest nation on Earth with 45 mil. people uninsured, roads and bridges crumbling, a horrifically executed war, no energy policy, etc.

I used to hate it and defended America 110% when foreigners said shit about us. Now, I just agree with them.

Don't get me wrong. America is still the land of most opportunities and probably the most fun place on Earth because of it's ethnic diversity and innovations. But I have to admit that America in the past 8 yrs. (aka the Cheney Administration) has done a lot of harm to this wonderful country. I cant' wait for this administration to expire and no way will I vote for McCain for a 3rd Bush term.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

One way to prove that you paid, if you think you did, would be your BANK's record of your accounts. You may have deposited a refund check, for instance.

Otherwise, chalk it up to experience.

Unknown said...

Yep, the IRS doesn't have to prove anything to anyone - they can do whatever they want. They're a criminal agency from a criminal government and I long for the day when every one of their offices is dynamited and the earth their feet tread on salted so nothing ever grows on it!