Sunday, May 4, 2008

Bungalow Bonfire

I was hanging out at Bungalow 8 with my good friend Shane Friday nite. I've know Shane for 8 months and we hang from time to time and we always have a fantastic time. He's a great bon vivant and very smart guy with style. Anyway, I was also hanging with my german model gal pal and her new bf and was having the usual fantastic time at B8. So, lot's of stuff going on.

I was sipping my watermelon martini and scanning the talent then when I looked back, there 6ft. in the air, I saw a huge cloud of smoke, the kind of smoke that just lingers like blown dry ice. I was think, "hmm, I din't know that B8 had a dry ice machine." I don't have good memory, so I figured that either they've always had one and I never noticed or that they installed one in the past week. It turns out that the girl that one of my other regulars at B8, Jarrod, brought had her hair on fire. I don't know how that happened since they banned smoking after a police raid last week. But it was apparent that the huge cloud of smoke was from her hair because everyone there came over to look at it her and ask her if she was OK.

I stared at her hair and I expected it to be gone on the right side because literally the smoke cloud was the size of a small SUV. I noticed no hair loss.

Just as surprising was that she just sat there for 20 mins. without opening up a compact to check herself out nor going to the bathroom mirror. The first thing that I would have done if that were to happened to me is to go to the bathroom mirror.

Then 2 mins. later, Amy Sacco, the owner, came over and said, "hey guys, no smoking." Shane told her that we weren't smoking and that the girl's hair caught on fire.

I had part of my hair on fire once while cooking and I remember the smell. It's quite distinctive and nauseating. Shane and I sat for 4 mins. and we could't take it anymore. The smell was unbearable. We went out for a smoke. When we returned, the girl was still sitting around. I smiled and jokingly said to her, "you've gotta leave now please."

A good thing about that fire episode was that the B&T drift that were there initially (hey, it was friday, B&T sippage is everywhere on Friday) all cleared out. So it became less B&T. Note: hair on fire expels the B&T crowd. I wonder if I can get a 'hair on fire' spray and use it like a shark repellent when B&Ts show up? A serendipitious cure, like penicillin.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Doesn't this Amy Sacco make most of her money off the bridge-and-tunnel set? As I hear it, everybody else (P.Hilton and other such luminaries) is comped -- or paid -- to draw in the suckers. Are YOU comped, F. von K. ?

dandyinthecity said...

Pierce,

Of course I'm paid. I represent the Jewel of Asia. Nahh. It's no cover for entry.

Like I said, on Fridays and Saturdays, B&T are everywhere. But B8 and a few other places try their best to keep it to a minimum. It's a fine wire act between short term profits and longevity profits.

I can't think of any other place that's been around for so long but still can proclaim itself to be rather exclusive. Usually after a couple of months, places pander to the B&T outright and make good money for years. But they lose their reputation and the associated cool crowd.

Shoky said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.