Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Strange Case of Mr. Y

For the past 3 weeks, I had befriended someone who I had known for years on the party circuit. I would see Mr. Y once so often, on and off at various events and parties. But we had never hungout outside of those activities. But then on New Year's Eve, I ended up at the SubMercer and saw him and we struck up an interesting conversation and we started hanging out.

So, once a week since then, we've texted and went out to some events. He's in his mid to late 30s, tall, almost handsome, a good talker, but not a good dresser. I liked his interesting and insightful observations of people and nite life in NY. I agreed with most of everything he said and our conversations were very engaging and well paced. I thought to myself, do I have a new friend here? Afterall, we thought alot alike and he was drama free.

He invited me to events every week since New Year's Day and would even call me up every few days and we would chat on the phone. Chatting on the phone is very rare for me. 98% of the time, I like to simply text. But our conversations were so interesting and since he too was a night owl, I was fine with it. Now you maybe wondering, is he gay? Afterall, I'm quite the catch in that community. Asia boy. But no, he is definitely straight. We would often talk about the girls that he is dating or trying to date. He would even send me emails with their pictures so that we can grade them from 1 to 10. [Note: They were all Asian and 6s. He thought they were 8s. I plead illiteracy when it came to Asian girls.]

Anyway, after 3 weeks of this and increasing amicability and comfort level, I thought OK, this guy may be a new friend. Then something strange and fckd up happened on Thursday.

He invited me to a TV industry party (he's not in that industry) at Greenhouse. I really didnt feel like going. 1) I've been there now 4 times in the past month and the novelty was wearing off and 2) It was between 8-10. Way before midnight. So, evenafter I got ready, I told him, "I'm ready. But I don't know if I want to go." He just texted back and said, "Hot party. Come now." At this point, I've known the guy long enough to know that we have similar tastes and we've been to all the spots in Manhattan, so we know whats good or shit. So I went down to Greenhouse.

As I was arriving, he called me and said, "There's a huge line outside. Just goto the side door and say that you're with _____. I'm on the VIP list and I told the guestlist girl that you were coming. So, just by pass the regular line. I'm on the VIP list." He actually used the word VIP several times during the 3 min. convo. I thought that was kindda strange. It was like someone saying I went to Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Did I mention that I went to Harvard?

Anyway, I get inside and I find him. He's with an FOB Korean girl who I had seen once before. Mildly attractive. But not my cup of tea. We exchange pleasantries. Then later on at the bar, he asks me, "Hey Fred, can you give me $10, so I can buy her a drink? They have a $50 minimum on credit cards." This is after, the previous time when we were there and he asked me for $40 which he promised to payback the next time he saw me. Fortunately, the FOB decided to stick to tap water. So, we hungout there for about an hour. The crowd was shitty. Not the regular Greenhouse crowd. It was very bridge and tunnel. So, we decided to go to RDV early.

RDV is the latest tough door and I had only gone to it once before (last week) with Barbie. As we approached the door, he says, "Stand back a few paces. Let me and the girl break the ice." So, I figured, fine. One does have to be strategic when one is not yet a regular. He was there twice before. So neither of us were regulars yet. It takes about 3-4 visits within a span of a month in general to become a regular. Then when we were all finally at the door, he asks the doorguy the strangest thing, "Is the bartender working?" Jordan looks at him and says, "Now, that's a wierd question. No. We're not open yet. We'll be opening at 11. What's the bartender's name?" Mr. Y says, "I dont know." I whisper in his ear, "Nicholas." I knew because I make it a habit to get the bartenders' names when I first visit a place just in case I need to use it before I become a regular. Then Mr. Y says to Jordan, "You remember me dont you?" and Jordan says, "No." Anyway, we all get in despite the awkward moment. But the fckn place is not even opened for another 15 mins. So we walkout and tell the other door guy that we''ll be back. Then we end up going to the Gansvoort Hotel rooftop for what I thought would be for 20 mins. before we headed back to RDV.

Then out of the blue, he asks me while staring at the SoHo House, "Are you a member of the SoHo House?" I said "No. I had the opportunity to be one of the Charter members because I know one of Charter members who wanted me to join 6 yrs. ago. But I wasn't sure how it would be so I passed on it." Which was the truth. Then he says, "Norwood. That's a better one. You should join that." I said, maybe. Personally, I would only want to be a member of the Metropolitan Club (they go pheasant hunting and have lots of black tie events and is really high level vs. these new commers like the SoHo House or Norwood), NYAC, or the University Club. All are old school clubs unlike these new kids on the block.

Then here's the shocker, Mr. Y says, "Well, you're not adding any value here." I was flabbergasted. Say what? I just brushed it off thinking he's just joking. Then the FOB girl, he's "date," who can barely speak English tells him, not knowing what he just said to me, "I go home now. Have to finish homework. Test tomorrow." Mr. Y soon departs with her. Leaving me alone for RDV without apologizing for his comment nor for his unscheduled penis-driven departure. I thought it was an assholish move. But, I figured fck it. He wants to get laid. Fine. Fortunately, I had 2 girls soon to join me who were good enough for RDV.

When I get to RDV 20 mins. later, I get a text from him. "Hey, this girl. I don't think it'll work out. She's too traditional." I text back, "Who knows. Probably." Then 15 mins. later I get another text, "I'm at Southside. I just walked right in. It's pretty good here." Southside, FYI, is the only tough door that I've heard of that I haven't been to yet so I was interested in what he had to say about it.

To make this already long story short now, when I asked him what kind of people were there, he says, "I've already told you. Don't waste my time by making me repeat myself." So, I reread one his previous texts. Embedded in one of them were two words, "Rich Hipsters." So, that was that. I thought. Then the ugly head of a "God-complex" reared itself from Mr. Y. He kept going on about me not staying pace with him and wasting his time etc. This went on for 30 mins. while I was waiting for the girls to show up at RDV. I was besides myself. How does it go from a budding friendship into pure unadultrated insults in a nanosecond? He even went as far to say, "I'm working now so I cant give you therapy unless you pay me $150/hr." and started calling me names. Btw, he wasn't even drunk. He only drank 1 open bar vodka and rest of the 2 hrs. he just drank water.

Needless to say, my final message to him was, "Good luck turd." I havent spoke to him since. I was hurt for a day or so then became angry and disgusted. I concluded that even if he were to apologize profusely or give a good reason why he said all of those things, I can never be friends with someone so narcisstic and volatile. I deleted his number from my phone. Crazies are a dime a dozen in this city, I don't need to have one in my life. Been there, done that.

P.S. It's surreal though how a person seems so harmless and nice on the surface. But deep inside, there's a demon just waiting to eat the flesh of others when the cage opens. It's disgusting and sad. Turd.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Strange case indeed. You were wise, to put it mildly, to get out when you did. Looks like there were some crazy-signals all along the way.