Thursday, January 22, 2009

Facebook

I finally buckled and joined today. The reason, good and bad, is that everyone is on it. I really don't get Facebook though. Albeit, I'm gonna give it a fair trial and see for sure what I really think in a month or so. Their MO (modus operandi) is about staying connected to people you know, knew or just met. I get that part (especially, the fact that they want to cash in on that). But, for me, there's a reason why I haven't stayed in touch with some people. There are alot of people that I don't want to stay in touch with (new or old). The people who I want to stay in touch with, I stay in touch by phone, text, email, blog or in person. So, having these 5 channels of communication are sufficient for me. Call me traditional or orthodox if you must. I'm good with that.

I have very few friends despite being quite social, sociable, and charming. I like to pick and have small number of people who are significant to my life. I guess though, for many, that quantity can be a quality in itself. It's good for their self esteem that they know so many people and put them on Facebook as a certification of their popularity. But I don't consider someone I just met at a club, lounge or a bar who wants to connect and connect with as friends unless they are instantly exceptional either by their beauty, mind, or personality.

I prefer to designate people as friends after I get to know them for awhile. If we're consitently on the same page and have good times (drama free and fun), they are my friends.

My friends are those who I can speak with who can finish my sentence in mid sentence because we are from the same litter and they know exactly what page, paragraph, and sentence I'm on.

People choose their careers, books, wine, friends, foods, spare time, etc. carefully because time is precious. How much more so then that one should choose one's freinds even more carefully.

I don't get people who have more than 10 (max. 20) friends on Facebook (or in life). Most to all Facebookers have 200+ friends. BUT then again, perhaps, Facebook is a book of faces, a scrapbook of people one knows or met. This, to me, is meaningless, like keeping a scrapbook of receipts. But it maybe meaningul to others. The one other utility or value that I see is that, unlike me and a handful of my friends who blog, Facebook is the only way that they 'publish' anything (thoughts, events, etc.). So, Facebook does give me a window into those people who I enjoy who do not blog.

[Needless to say, that now that I'm on Facebook. My presence there will probably be non-existent. Only time will tell.]

3 comments:

Carolina said...

Have tried to call you a million times. Is all ok??? Ur not dead are you? I'm going to bday party in chelsea now, call me asap!!!

dandyinthecity said...

hahaha. we had a good time after I woke up from my nap. U were gr8. RDV.. next, Southside. Gotta put a check next to that. Then I'll be completely current.

Unknown said...

Note; Not everyone is on Facebook, e.g. me.