Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK Jr. Day

I remember that a few years ago, I was taking the subway downtown and was standing in front of two girls in their 20s who were sitting in front of me who were having a conversation. I couldn't help overhearing them and one of them said, "I have Martin Luther day off tomorrow." and the conversation kept going and moved on. I was laughing inside. Martin Luther? Why, that was about 5 centuries ago (1500s). He was the father of the Reformation who penned 101 protests against the Catholic church who posted it on the door of a cathedral in Germany. She's getting a day off for Martin Luther? That's phenomenal!

I know that she meant Martin Luther King Jr. Nevertheless, I was just amazed by her major slip and on top of that her friend didn't even correct her. They just swam through the rest of the conversation. Blind leading the blind.

It's amazing how so many people don't know basic history. I once quizzed someone, "when did we send a man to the moon?" and she said, "sometime in the late 1800s."

Last week, I was outside Mercury bar having a smoke and talking with one of the regulars and he mentioned that he was going to Greece for 3 months for a vacation. I said, "Nice! What cities and islands?" He rambled some off then stopped and said, "all of them." I said, "cool." Then this girl who was listening to us asked, "where is Greece?" Unfckn believable. I wanted to say, "It's next to the moon. Please do not breed!"

No comments: