Saturday, August 2, 2008

Monkey Train Variation


Koons' originals are oil on canvas. Sold in the hundreds of thousands of dollars price range. I need to learn the oil on canvas process. It's obviously photoshopped/ digital then somehow transferred on an analogue medium. Btw, he only comes up with the vision and the idea then his studio executes on the production of the piece. Good ol' studio system. That's what I want to do also.

Apparently the prints themselves are now being sold in museums for $3,000-$30,000range. Of course, Koons is a famous brand so his stuff will sell high. I want to follow his footstep with my own vision.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You might as well try. But it is oh so competitive.

dandyinthecity said...

Thanks Pierce. I'm glad that you didn't poo poo it. Afterall, it's definitely not high art like Rembrandt, Turner, Vermeer, etc.

But somehow, I like it and the fact that his most recent sale was $23 mil. [I believe the highest ever for a living artist inspires me].

Compare to other things that I've seen recently in galleries, believe it or not, this is higher art :().

Yes, true. Competitive. So,it's about narration. No BS narration though. Just straight from the heart. Otherwise, Picasso, Warhol, Rothko, Pollack, Johns, Rauschenberg, etal would have never made it.

Unknown said...

Somehow I can't imagine Picasso, Warhol, Rothko, Polock, Johns or Rauschenberg not "making it."

I CAN imagine not everyone "getting them" immediately, but with originality, ability and vision like theirs . . well, it just had to happen eventually.

dandyinthecity said...

Thats what I meant... not everyone 'getting them' immediately.

Unknown said...

And those who did not get them immediately, either did in time, or, became like those people who look at Picasso's late cubist works or Pollock's "Four Poles" and say: "My kid could do that."

It usually takes popular taste a while to catch up with the great innovators in any art.