Monday, August 18, 2008

Flattery

will get you everywhere.

I love flattery. Most people do. It's how it's done that some people do not like.- La Rochefocauld. But when it comes to the category of "You look great!" it doesn't matter how its done. People like people who like them and the easiest way to show it is by saying you look great!

"How do you look so great all of the time?" "By making it a habit to be around perfectly charming people like you!" [Paraphrasing Wilde's 'An Ideal Husband']

I also say, "I congratulate you on your fantastic taste."

I've had many compliments from men and women in the past. "I love your outfit." "I love your shoes." "Are you in fashion?" "Are you a photographer?" "You're the best looking guy here." The last one here was from last week. As soon as I walked into Bungalow and went to the somewhat crowded bar for a drink after slicing through the dance area, a girl said this to me and although she wasn't my type, I chatted with her and got her a martnini. Cheers and bravo.

I like to think and often say that my only affirmation is me. But from time to time, it's great to be flattered.

On the other hand, anti-flattery, is awful. "Have you lost weight?" "You're so skinny." "You look tired." First off, I'm a dandy. I'm supposed to be thin. It keeps my closet in full bloom and it permits me to wear a full spectrum of fashion from preppie to punk rock. All visuals are at my disposal. Secondly, "Yeah, tired of looking at and watching your mouth move."

Btw, I don't say "How are you?" to my friends. Instead, I greet my guy friends, "Hi handsome. What would you like to drink?" and to my gals, I say, "You look gorgeous. So good to see you. Champagne, wine?" :)!

Then we start our night with a smile and another beautiful night is born. Aurora Borealis.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There is a fairly important distinction between compliments and flattery that you don't seem to have quite grasped.

Flattery works best on narcissists, by reason of the deep and pathological psychological needs that are at the root of their narcissism. It is usually used to get something from the one flattered, and is dishonest and insincere. Healthy people can usually spot a flatterer and see it for what it is.

Compliments, e.g. -- "You look great." (If the person does indeed look great.) are something quite different.