Thursday, March 27, 2008

Tailor

My clothes (many but not all) are tailored by a master tailor. There are appx. 30 of these treasures in the entire continent of US of A. Yup. His clients (still) include Robert Redford, Robert Di Nero, Al Pacino, and Mr. Gambino. Pure old school. His name is Larry (the tailor). He's been a master tailor since the age of 20. Certified in Sicily, Italy. It's prominently displayed set in a frame in his small space. He had to take Liz Taylor out to dinners while Richard Burton had other "engagements." A sneaky wolf that Burton. Respect to my nigga on that :). Larry is 80 now. When I go to pick up my kitties, we have wine after and he plays the harmonica for me. I listen and laugh. La dolce vita.

He wants to make a suit for me. But he never pushes me. His suits are $7,000 a pop. Entirely impeccable. I see it on the mannequin. It's like a Northern Light. Dispicablly mesmerizing. I ask him if it's new and he tells me that it's 20 yrs. old and that he is altering it because the client lost weight. I say, "no way, that looks new!" He says nothing. I respect his silence. Great composers have been known to use silence in their compositions as a device of meditation. Never busy bee; always, Butterfly. Meditation.

Some of the cuts and fabrics (Emporio Armani) I bring to him confuses him. I have to edit for him. Yeah, the crazy kids. I tell him it's OK and simply that I am Oriental.

He's surprised that I don't wear a microscope when I come to visit him. I listen and instruct him precociously-- but with respect. I pay cash (Benjis). He accepts paper. Old school. Just a smile and a handshake. No reciepts. Never Declasse. Rive Gauche. Done.

A gentleman should always have a dedicated lawyer, a banker, an accountant, a chef, a realtor, a tailor, a doctor, a driver (airborne and ground), and museS.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't it a bit of an exagg to say that your clothes are "tailored by a master tailor."

a.) it seems that you mean they are "altered" by a "master tailor." You seem to be at least suggesting that they are bespoke, which is a totally different matter.

b.) it seems to me that it would be highly unusual to qualify as one of 30 master tailors in the world at the age of 20. Could Larry be doing a number on you to push that 7000 dollar suit? Watch for the tell-tale signs that he might be playing into your vanity. New York is a tough place.
Try Mohan's. They have a great rep and are much cheaper.

Carolina said...

Wow Pierce is a little rough on you Freddie. Although he does definitely have a point in what he's saying. Not gonna dig any deeper in to that though!

I do love the things you think a gentleman need in his life though. Nice. Very nice.

dandyinthecity said...

Well. A dandy caught me. Yes. Its alteration by a master tailor. Larry reengineered. Not engineered. I luv a hearty correction.

Shoky said...

When I introduced you to Larry, I thought he clarified he wants you to be a bit discreet about some of his Italian-American clients for obvious reasons.

It would definitely suit your image as a dandy to get some bespoke suits.

dandyinthecity said...

Z/P (shoky), I agree. But per Pierce's comment above. Mohan seems interesting. I checked out there website and the prices and choices seem incredible.