Friday, March 21, 2008

Sports and Class

So, I haven't been out out for about a month now. It's amazing. I used to go out out (meaning some kind of lounge or club) about 2 times a week (in the Fall and Early Winter) and when I was really out, about 4 times a week (during the Summer). Of course, bars and hotel lounges in between... which I don't consider out out but just chilling. So I was roughly out almost every night. I used to worry then, geeez, I'm out alot. Why am I out so much! What is going on? But in the past month, I rarely been out past midnight and I am very happy with it. It's a sign of some normalcy for me and I am proud and happy about it.

But I do go to my neighborhood bar after work for a couple of hours or more and chat with the staff and some other friendly faces there. The whole staff is like a family to me and the place is like "Cheers" (the old sit com series). I go there almost every nite except Fridays and Saturdays when it's a mad house. Amateurs. I get my 3 pints of Harp, Blue Moon, then Stella and in that order then after many fun conversations, I go grab dinner, and veg out. Nothing exciting but it's really comfortable and much needed, after a hard day of work. It provides a nice balance for me. Simply put it's an Oasis for me.

Anyway, yesterday, I walked into my bar and I had forgotten that it was March Madness and the beginning of tournaments. The place was incredibbly loud and I couldn't find a seat. I however hung out for an hour... talking with staff (I consider them actually like my siblings and friends) and had a decent time. I blocked out most of the visual and aural pollution. I guess it's like a survival instinct that kicks in.

But I could not help noticing and being disgusted by the crowd. Out of the roughly 60 people there (8pm), roughly 40 were guys and about 20 girls. Better than the usual ratio where it's usually only like 20% are women. Of course, of the whole batch of 60, 70% were fat (not just overweight) and 90% of the whole batch dressed liked shit. Working class, thick necked, fat, unfashionable, routine, average, boring, and LOUD. It's a guarantee that this is the crowd you'll get at a sports bar and especialy during tournament season.

I don't follow sports but I do watch the playoffs and championship games because by then the truly best are playing eachother and often times, the games can be very entertaining. Plus I want to feel normal-- like I 'fit in'... not a 100% outsider detached from reality like some space alien from a different dimension. But still the crowds... if the Gap made not only clothes but also the people to go with the clothes these people would be it. Miserable, ugly, fat, ungroomed, cookie cutter, unwashed masses. the worst part is that they often hook up and breed eventually and produce numerous facisimiles of themselves. It truly is the Barbarians at the Gates scenario.

These people are to almost the man/woman, sports fans and most of them do not have class. By class, I mean, at the very least some manners, grooming, and a sense of decorum. Style... that would be asking too much.

Why do I go there then? Like I said, the staff there are like family to me and when there are no crowds, I have the most fun and comfortable times there. Plus it's only 2 blocks from my apt. !The sports fcktoids are not going to oust the VonKwon from his own living room. No, fckn wayyyyy baby. I simply have to ignore them or pray to the gods for the gift of compassion. Yeah, I'm not holding my breath on that one.

No comments: