Saturday, March 22, 2008

Gadsden Flag



The Gasden Flag was popular and can be considered one of the original American flags during the Revolutionary war. I don't mean to be sophomoric with this image like some high schooler. But sometimes everyone feels this way-- I'm sure of it. Either at work, at home, in a relationship or in various 'situations' where tyranny and unreason militates.
This snake is a Eastcoast Diamond Back Rattle Snake. It is only found in America. See the rattle tail? The snake only attacks for food and when provoked. It also rattles to warn before it strikes. Ahhh. pretttty snake. But I'm certain that this flag exists in people's hearts, minds, and lives everywhere (from the slums of Gaza to people in 'situations' in Manhattan, Stockholm, Seoul, Tokyo, and Copenhagen etc. (where btw, I accomplished yet another successful multimillion dollar art heist. This time, I used laughing gas grenades! As you can imagine, people were on the floor holding their stomaches bursting with laughter. It was a fun theft and no finger prints. Ha!).
OK... back to serious talk :(). To me, the flag ALSO symbolizes the Nietzschean idea of 'the will to power.' The will to power as I remember from my college reading, is the process of 'becoming' which involves overcoming one's own limitations by constantly trying to improve oneself (overcoming also involves unlimiting yourself... to thy nature be true!) but also overcoming the tyranny of others (i.e. popular opinions, dictates, mores).
I think that it's important to overcome both. Both overcoming one's own weaknesses and also opening oneself up to oneself and not being tread by others. It's hard though, both are quite formidable forces to overcome in the process of becoming. But I think that greatness is found in one's becomings. Metaphor: Slaying the dragons in one's life adventures like St. George slaying the dragon (which symbolized demons internal and external). 'Becoming' is heroic and is a hero's journey... a journey that one must take in order to become a hero for one's own sake.
So, to me, the Gasden Flag is a magnificient and a noble flag, an emblem, that should be emblazened in our mind and heart and in our action's in our daily battles with others or with ourselves. The spoils of these battles is a better and a new and improved you!
"When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things" 1 Corrinthians 13:11

No comments: