Sunday, October 12, 2008

Corrections

I enjoy it, as a learning experience, when people from time to time, correct my facts, grammar, pronunciation, usage of vocabulary, or even, fashion. Through it all, now, the corrections have become rarer and rarer for me. Thanks to previous corrections.

As long as they dont correct me out of self righteousness or maliciousness and convey it in a diplomatic way, I feel like I'm better off knowing more than I did moments before. I THANK them!

But there are many people who find it offensive to be corrected in anyway. Through their embarrassment and lack of self esteem, they interpret corrections as mere attacks, no matter what. [note: I dont like people who are always criticizing others either. That's the flip side of the coin.]

I try to stay away from people like that. I find them weak.

A healthy ego and a strong mind should be able to handle any corrections or constructive criticisms. [and also, not to criticize all of the time.]

This also translates into one of my favorite aphorisms (from LaRochefocauld)-- "The weak can NOT be sincere." The 'weak' are always trying to hide their shortcomings. Actually, they never admit to nor, do they ever, confront their shortcomings. They are stuck and stagnant and they like it that way.

Hmmm... btw, how many times did the Sun rotate around the Earth today? Anybody?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I consider it a compliment to be corrected. It suggests that corrector thinks you care about such things, and also cares enough about the correct-ee to take the time to point it out.

I'm not so sure about the LaRochefocauld (sic) comment. I think many weak people are sincere. Sometimes there's nothing else they CAN be. But I suppose it depends on one's definitions of weak and sincere.

Hey, T. How about being a bit more careful about apostrophes in contractions. I think it looks sloppy.

dandyinthecity said...

I've decided not to put apostrophes in my blog for words like didnt, dont, doesnt,and isnt. But will put apostorophe for I'm and I've.

I dont like holding down the shift key except for when I start a new sentence and have to capitalize the first letter.

As for contractions, 'btw' is probably the only contraction that I use.

As for the weak, I mean weak in ego, self esteem or mind. Not the weak as in 'the meek shall inherit the Earth' i.e. the poor.

Unknown said...

My recollection is that didn't, don't, doesn't and isn't ARE contractions, and that "btw", "lmfao", etc, are acronyms or initialisms -- I can't say I've ever quite seen the difference between the latter two.

I guess I will eventually get used to your choice to ignore the traditional apostrophes in certain contractions (but not in others), in much the same way I (more or less) get used to a variety of odd spellings and usages in the writings of highschool students. ("alot" for "a lot", "mabey" which occurs at least as often as "maybe", and the appalling variety of applications of "there", "their," and "they're". "You knew what I meant!" they whine.

In a way, it might be more justifiable for you to not ever hold down the shift key -- create a whole new sort of cummings-derived way of writing.

As it is, -- in view of the overall inconsistency -- there is a danger of being perceived as not knowing any better.

I always think it's better to strive for correctness in writing, but I do understand that this is a value held in less than high regard in many circles these days.

Nevertheless, I shall continue to try to give good example in this area.

dandyinthecity said...

Well, I agree for sure that for things like they're vs. their vs. there and things like I wish I were vs. was (former being the correct grammar), I will hold steadfast to 100% accuracy.

And 'maybe' should always be spelt that way. Otherwise, wrong usage and spelling reflects ignorance or lack of education. Moreover, some of it may border on Ebonics which I consider to be a heinous bastardization of language.

But yes, in terms of apostrophes and use of acronyms, I will exercise caprice. I think that a lot of it is due to the fact that I text message from my phone several times a day and my texting behavior has moved into my blogging... which is also the activity of tapping on keyboards.

If I were to ever write letters on paper again, all apostrophes would go back. Gee, I don't think that I've written a letter on paper in 7years.

Unknown said...

Actually, I like writing letters very much. Nice pen, nice paper, nice ink. (I've always liked the smell of Parker ink, but it's become very expensive.)

I also find that since it takes longer to write by hand, the writing style and the oriiginality of the writing is usually notably superior to that written (more quickly) on a keyboard. There is more time to self-edit WHILE one is writing by hand, and I'm sure the brain has time to consider many more possible words. At least that's been my impression of my own writing.

What about thank you notes and notes to overnight hosts/hostesses? Don't you write those by hand?