Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve

I am not feeling it this year. I don't feel the urge to do the routine tonight. None of my friends have any plans that I know of either, and for sure, none of them nor I, are going to shellout $250 for one of those mega parties. I don't think that I have gone to a megaparty in years. The long lines at the coatcheck line. The long lines to get a drink. The height of this, on a positive note was when Tao first opened several years ago and I was able to snag a spot in the upper VIP room overlooking everyone below. The upper VIP room is not known to most people who goto Tao even now. It's a private room, about 500 sq. feet with it's own bathroom and food area. Back then there were only 20 people allowed up there for the NYE party. 20 people on top and about 1,000 people below. I walked up and down to mingle with the commoners in my Vivien Westwood ('VW') Indigo velvet jacket and VW ultra-high collar (Eduardian looking) shirt then walk back up to the room for champagne and food whenever I wanted and there was absolutely no line in the upper room. I forgot how I got the ticket. But that was really fun. Nothing since, in terms of megaparties, have ever come close to that serene but fun experience.

Last year was really fun too. My friend Shoky had a place in a new condo in middle of Times Square (46th and Broadway) that overlooked the ball drop. It was a private party and about a 100 people showed up... which is a good amount. Not small but not unmanageable. Then we hit (crashed) 4-5 other parties in the building, moving from one apartment to another with constant flow of champagne and catered food. [FYI- the least expensive apartment in that building started at $1.2 mil. for a small 1 bdrm. So, people there had money and lived accordingly. Most people there of course don't live there all year round. It's just another place for them.] That was really really fun.

Tonite though, I have no idea what I will be doing. I'm sure that when 10:30pm rolls around, I'll start to get antsy and call people to see what they are up to. I checked the asmallworld event section. But it's all the same crap. Party at Marquee, Cain, Ciprianis, Mansion, etc. BORING. Honestly, I just feel like walking around Tribecca and hitting random free bars. I kindda want to be the invisible man tonight visiting and voyeuring different sites and people and vicariously enjoying their youthful exuberance. But then again, it's supposed to be 19 degrees by midnight tonight. Hmmm.

Life, in some ways, was much more enjoyable when I knew less. Nowadays, it's hard to get excited about alot of things (except for beautiful women and sexy legs). Been there done that psychosis. But I don't want to lose my sense of wonderment and joy. I can't. I won't!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, life was more exciting when we ALL knew less. Now we're all a bit jaded - it's really sad in a way...st

Carolina said...

We're jaded and in a recession.

Barbie spent nye in parents house with Arianna Huffington´s book "on becoming Fearless".

It was sweet...

Let's make 2009 the best year ever dear!

dandyinthecity said...

"The best year ever dear!" I really like that. I love it. Yes. Let's do it!

Happy New Year to all of my lovelies.

Family, friends, love, health, and money.

Bring it on!