Sunday, November 23, 2008

Winter Jacket


I think that this Winter will be a harsh one. Since the past two Winters have been fairly mild, I think we'll pay for it this year.

I already started wearing my cashemere overcoat and I remembered that it kept me pretty warm last year (with my scarf and gloves). But the past two days, I've worn it and I was still cold. Maybe my body still has to get acclimated to the cold.

In any case, I know that I'll need a ski jacket. That's the only thing that will break the wind and keep me warm. I had a real nice one by 'Descente' that I wore for years. It was navy blue, 3/4 length, and had a cool gold logo on one arm (3 arrows pointing down) and the other arm had a gold stitching that said "Techno-Dri" It was classy yet modern. Now, I can't find it. I may have thrown it out by accident or have it at my parent's place. But, even if I find it, I feel like I need a new one. A costume change.

So, I've been surfing the Paragon Sports site for a new one. That's where I got my Descente one and I like the store. It's fairly close by and has a decent selection of ski jackets. This year though, the Descente ones look very average. I like the Monclers', the shiney bubble jackets. But I think that they're overpriced for what it is and too short.

The one I really like is the one shown above. It's a Bogner. I really like the military style details. It reminds me of what a young Nazi officer would have worn on a Winter vacation in Gstaad. I love the detailing. The two zippers straight down the front, very symmetrical, the horizontal arm stripes that balance the vertical zippers, and the insignia in the front that punctuates the military accent of the jacket. It's modern and classy and abit edgy without going silly. It's a precise jacket. Only problem: $1,300. That's Bergdorf price and right now I won't do Bergdorf price.

Tonight, for about 20 mins., I fantasized (immersed) about somehow shoplifting it. But, it's alittle too big to stuff it anywhere... unless.. perhaps, I go and put it on and walk around with it on for an hour (after I somehow get the magnet off) so that the employees and security see me for an hour shopping and think that I had it on when I came in. I would be wearing my ascot as a camaflauge. Surely, no one who wears an ascot shoplifts?! Then buy a hat or something and walk out. [Hey, btw, how about changing the price tag?!... well, I thought about that for a split second. But that's alittle too low brow for me. That's what poor people do at places like Macy's. That's actual theivery vs. earning a prize. I'm too well educated to steal. I prefer to 'take' that which I deserve with my chin up.] I want. I want. I need. I need.

[Btw, in the past, I have fantasized about robbing MOMA, Frick, or the Met. It would involve bombing a power station and blowing up their internal power generators as well-- simultaneously. It would also involve a stolen ambulance and a submarine in the Hudson for transport (and perhaps, laughing gas too). An entire swathe of Manhattan would be blacked out for a few hours. We're talking about National Guard deployment in Manhattan. Top of my list: Vermeers and Cezannes. That's it. Nothing else. Can't get too greedy. Smash and grab. Joker level.]

Africa has no idea that people in Manhattan are suffering as well! Psychological suffering is just as painful as physical suffering. To me, vanity (and beauty) is not an option; it's a matter of survival like the need for water, food and shelter.

No comments: