Saturday, November 15, 2008

Club Fatigue

From time to time, I have club fatigue. Actually, it's more like lounge fatigue as I have not recurred at clubs in many months. This time around, it feels like I have a semi-permanent club/lounge fatigue.

#1. There hasn't been an interesting place to go to since last year save one, Bijouix. #2. Last Summer/Fall was a spectacular year for hanging out after midnight and going to after parties. New and exclusive places opened up in full last year. Beatrice, Gold Bar, the Box, Pink Elephant, and I gained a regular title at Bungalow, and from time to time, I hungout at the Rose Bar or Kiss n Fly. It was great. The whole thing. #3. Barbie and I hung out, for sure, almost every Weds. or Thrs. It was like clockwork. Coo Coo for Coco Puffs crazy. #4, Places were new and exciting and Barbie made those places even better. We were an oasis and a paradise, a team.

This year, all that is different. #1. There aren't any new and exciting places (save Bijouix and Apotheke)(to my knowledege and my knowledge in this domain is usually pretty good and up to date). Right, I haven't been to the Rose Club at the refurbished Plaza Hotel. But I wasn't and am not too interested in it anyway. It seems cookie cutter chic. But I may try it anyway at some point. #2. The point is that, at the cost of sounding snootie, I must say that having gone to the most exclusive and fun places numerous times (including the SubMercer redux), I am bored of the routine and the texture. Pierce, yeah, I know you will suggest the opera (the Met). "Grow up Fred! There's more to life and leisure than those over troddened and banal lounges!" I know. But I'm not gonna go to the opera by myself and I have no one worthwhile to take. Right now, I have like 5 pretty girl friends but no girlfriend. I think that I've turned asexual. Ideally, I would definitely go to the Met and my old haunting ground, the Carlyle or the St. Regis if and when I have a girlfriend. To me, these sanctuaries are a domain of romance not an island of solitary reprieve. That's just me. #3. Barbie has other priorities this year. a) Interning at Chanel. A very plumb job which she loves and people there love her. It's important and is important to her future. So, she has been very responsible with that 9-5 gig. and I completely respect that and encourage it. b) I hope that I'm not being presumptuous here. But she really loves her boyfriend (and their love has grown) and things are getting more serious on that front it seems. I met him once and I kindda liked him. But as i find out more about how normal and successful he is, my respect for him has risen. I also think that Barbie has arrived at the same club/lounge fatigue as I have. "The ultimate velvet rope is love."-- Von Kwon.

This club/lounge fatigue has been punctuated and has become quite acute and obvious this week. Barbie's friend Alexzandra (with her friend) is here visiting NY from Sweden. They are gorgeous. We (Barbie, Bunny (my nickname for Alexzandra) all hungout last year when she was here and it was a blast. This year, she arrived on Weds. and I was supposed to hangout with her on Thrs. and I looked forward to it when Barbie told me about it on Monday. But I ended up hanging out early at Mercury and I totally missed it. Blacked out by 11 pm. Started out at 4pm. Apparently, my deli guy said today that I stopped by for cigarrettes and I was really drunk. I don't remember that at all. Subconciously then and quite consciously now, I understand why this fatigue. I knew it but now it's real and visible as the sun. the club fatigue. Tired of it.

Now, being the restless dandy that I am (it's in my DNA. Damn!), I'm sure that there is hope for my club/lounge resurrection if and when a new, worthwhile place opens up. But gosh, I'm bored of all of the places that I've been to.

I have become a resident at Mercury... one of the most non-exclusive, most average place that anyone can think of. And a Saturday nite regular at the Pyramid in alphabet city where they play 80s music and industrial, where most people either have tattoos or body piercing. I go there in my Hermes or Turnbull&Asser ascot. Great music and a working dry ice machine.

Seasons change.

9 comments:

Carolina said...

I'm touched Fred and had no idea I had such a big inpact on your going out or not. You forgot to add d) Regulary going to church and loves it!

I miss you sweets and I'm up for drinks at the carlyle trrw afternoon or any afternoon next week. Sophistication...

Unknown said...

Yeah, well, it happens. Everything comes in cycles.

Unknown said...

Fred,

All sounds very healthy to me. I suspect you'll get along very nicely without so many "lounge"/club excursions.
And think how much time it will open up for more substantial discoveries.

One small hint: Get a membership at MoMA. 75 per year, as opposed to 20 a crack. You get unlimited admissions, and never have to wait on any line. (As hundreds wait for their timed-ticket to Van Gogh, e.g., you show your card and walk right in.) You also get notifications of hours for members previews before the shows open to the public.

There are also all manner of cafes, up to and including "The Modern" a particularly nice restaurant run by the Danny Meyer gang.

I go at least once a week. (The museum, not the restaurant.) It's one of the great bargains. And a great place to see classsic movies. (You get a calendar each month, and can reserve in advance.)

You can take up to five guests each time for $5 each. And for a person of your outgoing ways, and superlative sartorial presentation, I can guarantee that you will meet any number of charming and presentable people.

And of course, there is that indescribably glorious permanent collection on the 4th and 5th floors!!!

You won't miss Beatrice at all. Leave it to Lindsay, Samantha and their ilk.

I have other suggestions too. Just ask.

Alexzandra said...

A read it all :) hehe. Good thoughts and last year was really something. And it was U and barbie that gave me that wunderful memorie. <3

dandyinthecity said...

Pierce,

Wow. I never knew! This is a no brainer! I love it! Thank you!

Do I get it online or goto the museumto get it? Never mind, I'll google it.

Shit. That's an unbelievable bargain.

Is there anything similar to this at the Met opera or Carnegie Hall etc.?

Unknown said...

If you're in the neighborhood, just walk up to the desk. You fill out a short form, and hand them your credit card. In a minute or two, the machine coughs out your very elegant plastic membership card, they slap it in a brochure telling you your benefits and you're off.

Can also be done by mail, etc.

dandyinthecity said...

I suspect that if I dare to walk up with a pistol, I can get the membership, quite free :).

dandyinthecity said...

and maybe take a Rothko and a Klee too. Hmmm.

Unknown said...

I'm told their sucurityis quite imposing. By the way, have you seen failblog.org ? It's pretty funny. Sort of along the lines of engrish.com.