Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Lehman and Lethe-- A River Runs Through It

"My accountants tell me how much I have. But they can never tell me how much is enough."-- Seneca (the Younger, 1st century A.D.)

Hubris, avarice, vanity, and Empire.

Burn baby burn.

Drexel Burnham Lambert, SunTrust, LTCM, Baring Securities, Enron, Bear, Lehman. (19 centuries later.)

We will never learn. Lethe, river of forgetfullness.

Humans... so easily forget the past.

May Rome burn while Nero fiddles [note: figurative, not actual] and smiles.

Tis our lot; that's why a life unexamined is a tragedy and a comedy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice piece, FKNY. A tad thick with the classical allusions, but they do make for a very reverberant type of evocation.

dandyinthecity said...

Thanks Pierce. Yeah, I waxed poetic abit. I was going for a collage.

Unknown said...

A good "antidote" to all of this is the VanGogh exhibit at MoMA, "Van Gogh and the colors of the night." I saw it yesterday, and went back today. Must be seen to be believed. Jaded MoMA members were picking their jaws off the ground.